Decarbing weed is a necessary procedure if you want to feel the real effects of your cannabis. Every time you light a blunt or smoke a bowl, you are taking part in the chemical process that is known as decarboxylation.
What is weed decarboxylation?
Simply put, decarboxylation of weed is the process that turns THCa into the psychoactive compound THC by removing a group of weak acids. After weed is decarboxylated, THC is able to bind to the cannabinoid receptors in your brain with less effort.
Is it necessary to decarb weed?
The answer is yes. The process of marijuana decarboxylation should always take place before using weed in methods that do not require heating, like eating or using topicals.
How to decarb your weed?
If you want to get the most of your cannabis, then you need to heat it according to the specific parameters to facilitate the process of decarboxylation. Going beyond the particular temperatures may damage your weed, so be attentive.
1. Preheat your oven up to 220°F.
2. Grind your cannabis using a weed grinder or a blender for a bigger job. Do not make powder from your weed as the bigger the surface area of your weed is, the better the result you will get.
3. Spread your cannabis bud on a baking sheet in one layer. Make sure it is not wet.
4. “Bake” your weed for two hours.
5. If you keep your weed as airtight as possible, all the vapor will be absorbed by your weed instead of escaping into the air. The clever solution here is to use a canning jar. All you have to be sure in is that it is not too wet. However, using aluminum foil on a baking sheet is also a great way if that is all you have.
6. After you place the container with weed into the oven, be ready for your house to smell like cannabis shortly. While your buds are cooking, leave them; you do not want any steam to escape.
When your weed turns dark, the process of decarboxylation is completed. Remove the baking sheet and allow your weed to cool down a bit. When you take it in your hands, it should be quite crumbly. If you want to make a perfect joint, then it is the perfect time to crumble your cannabis into the proper consistency.